Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Tuesday 30th Eldridge St Museum Synagogue


  
This morning I went to the Lower East Side / Chinatown area again to a museum that I had read about. I went on a tour led by  very well-informed elderly impeccably dressed Jewish lady. 

 Between 1880 and 1920 2 ½ million Eastern European Jews migrated to the NY, specifically the LES. In 1887 a Synagogue was built in which the predominantly Orthodox community could worship.  By the late 1940’s it closed because most of the Jews had moved to Brooklyn and else where , out of the crowded tenement area where migrants first lived when they arrived. It fell into disrepair until the 1970’s ( I think) when it was completely restored to its original state , with the exception of one large  stained  glass window which was installed last year.  It has a combination of Moorish, Gothic and Romanesque architecture- sounds a mish-mash but I quite liked it.  We started on the bottom floor where they had  their weekday services and then looked at the main floor and then the balcony area where  the women were relegated to.  There were photos and other bits of pieces about the past.  Now only the bottom floor is used for all the services, except on special days. Our guide talked about the reasons for different of the Jewish practises. She herself belongs  to a progressive Jewish community. They have a female rabbi.

I went to the Housingworks café for coffee and muffin again. There was a sign on the tables that said the usual – No food from elsewhere,  Don’t just sit using the internet at lunch and also ‘ Please bus your table’  . I had no idea at all. I asked. It means, ‘clear the rubbish off your table and put it in the bin.’ How come? Apparently the people who empty the bins are called ‘bus boys’ , why ?  no-one could tell me.

I wandered rather aimlessly around Soho for a while and then came back here and had a late lunch at a Japanese restaurant (cross 1 street).

This afternoon I wandered around the rambles – another part of Central Park and now I getting ready to go to the opera – Handel’s Guilio Cesare

No comments: