Monday, May 6, 2013

Monday Neue Gallerie


Instead of walking straight across Central Park I went about 1 km south, then  across and round about  ( I sat on a bench and watched some water having a coffee) and then north along Madison Avenue. I did not go into any of the  10 or 15 very fancy shops I passed. I did slow down a bit and peer in but I never saw any customers , in any of them.  About half had a  tall, skinny, young man  standing near the door , I suppose to greet potential customers.  None of the woman's shops with a doorman  had men’s clothing.  There were other shops too.  Only 1 or 2 mens wear shops. There were people in the second hand shop.

The Neue Gallery has 2 floors of about 4 rooms each, showing Austrian and German painters.  All but 2 of the rooms  were closed for a new installation.  They had moved some of the more popular paintings i.e. some of the Klimts into  the 2 rooms, adding to what was there before.  There were quite a few people trying to look at crowded together paintings. There were several Klimts that I liked.

On the way out I looked at my map before I went outside to see which way through CP I would walk – I was not going to go directly across. The doorman tried to help. He told me it would be much easier to catch a bus  because it was too far to walk across the park! Do I look that old?   Instead of walking directly  ( about 900 m) I walked along more of Madison Ave and a roundabout route through the park ( about 3 km) , getting back to my local cafes  for a  late nice lunch of salmon and Israeli couscous.

No comments: