Saturday, October 3, 2026

Saturday 3 Oct

While this place I am staying in is spacious and opulent in an old fashioned way, there are a few quirky things that are taking a bit of getting used to.  The light switches are all over the place and not always where you would expect them. The lighting as a whole is not great. I have to put effort into finding a place  to sit and read or knit , not at the table, where there is enough light. . Maybe move a chair.  The floors are all stone blocks, but quite worn and uneven in places. The floors are often at different levels in different rooms. Often only about .5 cm  but I have stubbed my toes a few times. The bathroom is modern.

It was a bit noisy last night, even with the window closed. The local lads  ( maybe lasses too , but I only heard lads) where quite loud. But it did not keep me awake.

I went to a second different local Cafe this morning. Again I did not have a view of the bar area from the room I sat in. Coffee and cornetto were good. I have been told over the years that cornetto and croissant were the same ( always croissant in french but either in italy)  but I read somewhere recently that there used to be difference in the texture.

I then went to a museum  called Ospedale degli Innocenti. Hospital of the innocents. This used to be a place where mothers  could leave  babies that they  were unable to look after. I am unsure when it started but in 1465 the intake was 200. There was a big display of how the place grew and  changed over the years. It was an interesting,  peaceful building.

It was not opened when i arrived, so I looked in the adjoining church.  Attached , next building around a square.  It was quite ornate . Apparently  , a basilica. I remember thinking once before that I wanted to know what makes a basilica a basilica.  Watch this space.

Then it was morning tea time . I discovered a new thing I have seen a few times in cafes -  budino di riso.  Different shapes, but usually like a friand.  Made with rice flour, but  with some texture and bigger bits almost like rice grains, so not like our rice flour. A bit sweet, but not too sweet.

Next in my day was a disappointment.  About 6 months ago I read a book which described a church in Florence  which had been badly affected by the flood , but people had been able to save a famous painting. I looked it up and it is a couple of blocks from me. Trouble is, as I found out this morning, it is closed for renovations. Che peccato!

So, after a few days of bits and pieces of food through the day I thought i would have a nice lunch, which i did.  When i was younger,  I saw lots of the stereotypical little old Italian ladies walking around dressed in black. ( There is a point to this ramble)   I remember yesterday seeing 2 no - longer-young ladies , both wearing nice black dresses.  Well, today I was seated in a room with 6 tables. One had 5 people and I donot remember what they were wearing. They left soon after I arrived.  Soon after I sat down a lady, probably in her 50s came in with a short sleeved black, nicely cut dress.   Then a couple in their 40s, then 2 couples together. All in their late 60s I'd guess. Both women were wearing nice black linen dresses. Both sleeveless, so I donot  think they had been to a funeral. They didnot behave like they had just been to a funeral.  So I will start to notice. And not worry about being out of place in my black trousers. I definitely  stood out in Malta. Lunch was nice, but nothing special.



No comments: